What we like
- The first plus for this saw is the price. When it comes to scroll saws, woodworkers don’t want the cheapest thing on the market, but there’s no reason to go broke buying a new tool. Under 200$ is a great price point almost every tool man can afford.
- Another great plus is the slack control. This helps you relieve or increase tension and makes it much easier to remove and replace a blade.
- The dust blower that curves in from the side keeps visibility high and makes clean up much easier.
- There’s also very little vibration at on the bevel of the saw making the work easier on the user’s hands.
What we don’t like
There are some cons to this tool.
- First, the light over the work area could be a bit brighter. It’s there, but the wattage is a bit low.
- Also, the blade’s motor has a bit of a stutter at lower speeds, but gets smoother as the speed is raised.
Before you purchase your next piece of hardware, you need to know exactly what it is you’re getting in to and how to fulfill your handyman needs. The Porter Cable Scroll Saw is a great choice, but it’s not for everyone. Here’s a breakdown of the product to help you decide if this is the right saw for you.
What is a Porter Cable Scroll Saw?
This piece of equipment is an automate saw that has a shape similar to a sewing machine with a thin band of an extra-sharp blade in the place of a needle. It sits on top of a four-legged stand and stays in one place as you use it. This tool is specifically for smaller, curved or more intricate cutting on the edge of your material. The blade moves in a scrolling motion at a high speed, helping it bit through wood smoothly and create curves and details as the wood is moved around the blade.
Besides the stand and the blade, this saw also includes a small storage compartment on one side where you can store extra blades. This can save you the time you might spend hunting around your shop and keeps what you need to work close at hand.
Another great feature is an easy-to-use on and off switch right on top of the saw. This will keep users safe as they can switch the saw off immediately should anything go wrong.
There is also a speed dialer and a tension control switch, both located right on top for extra convenience.
The Porter scroll saw will cost you less than 300$ , a much better price than the $500 DeWalt scroll saw that serves the same function. All purchases are backed with a three year warranty and the company offers full customer support.
For the amateur woodworker or professional in the shop, this saw is a great choice. It won’t break the bank and does some solid, controlled cutting for the little bits and pieces you need to make your project shine. In the rare instance of problems with the saw, the customer is protected and supported by the company. The Porter Cable Scroll Saw is a great addition to any workshop or garage.